We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. Given the nascent state of the law, novel legal guidance is needed!
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced product counsel to serve as Senior Counsel in our Product Legal team, Investments Legal. This position will report to our Director & Associate General Counsel, Investments Legal and will work closely with a number of global cross functional teams in legal, product and related teams. You will be responsible for senior legal leadership on a number of retail and institutional derivatives and securities product offerings, and be responsible for regulatory responses and initiatives. We are looking for candidates with prior experience with financially regulated products, particularly derivatives and securities, and prior experience working at a law firm, with a regulator, or in-house. Preference for prior experience and/or interest in cryptocurrency markets and custody.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Provide full product life-cycle counseling for a variety of financial products. Ensure product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, in close collaboration with colleagues in Legal and Compliance teams.
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction on novel digital currency and blockchain technology legal and regulatory issues.
- Lead complex and global cross functional efforts, driving and ensuring cross-functional alignment with all internal stakeholders (Business Development/Sales, Product/Engineering, Business Development/Sales, Compliance).
- Proactively solve process and other problems for the business as they plan and execute on an accelerated and aggressive global growth plan.
- Provide practical in depth analysis on legal issues and risks, complex products and company policies in a risk-tolerant and compliance-oriented environment, including the impact on the company's long-term strategy to business, compliance, and legal audiences.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Current license in a U.S. state. JD or equivalent with 7+ years of legal experience.
- Expertise and experience working on a BD, ATS, FCM, DCM or DCO, and additional bonus if prior work with fintechs, retail banks, investment banks, hedge funds, or prime brokers.
- Experience working with product teams launching fintech, financial services, investment, or similar products.
- Familiarity with the following laws and agencies: money transmission laws, banking regulations, securities regulations, commodities and derivatives regulations, and general familiarity with NYDFS, OCC, SEC, and CFTC.
- Experience working with and leading cross-functional teams.
- Experience working with and presenting to C-suite and VP-level leadership.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible.
- Excellent judgment, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Top-notch analytical skills with experience owning projects from concept to finish.
- Comfort and experience with technology solutions that help you scale your practice.
- Get to “yes” approach in working with the business.
- Risk-adjusted thinking.
- Sound and practical business judgment.
- Intellectual curiosity and flexibility.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
- High EQ, wise, authentic, with a sense of humor.
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado is either $210,375 or $245,225 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Please note that for employees based in the US, Philippines, Canada or Singapore, if your role requires you to be present in a Coinbase office or if you choose to be physically present in a Coinbase office or sponsored location, you will be required to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 (as defined by applicable law). If you receive an offer, you will receive additional information about the grounds and process for an exemption.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.