We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase, Inc. is seeking a Director, Enterprise Architecture to grow and enhance the Enterprise Architecture organization within Coinbase’s Enterprise Applications and Architecture team. As a key leader of the Enterprise Architecture team, you will be instrumental in aligning Coinbase’s business strategy with its technology vision and driving innovative and effective solutions for a diverse and complex set of business problems. Your team will consist of architectural leaders supporting a variety of internal business units, providing leadership to both the business and technology teams to drive solution directions and recommendations that advance the strategic goals and vision of both business and technology.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Provide vision, leadership, analysis and design expertise for the development, maintenance and governance of application architecture models and their lower level components to support the needs of the business.
- Develop the technical roadmap to evolve Coinbase’s application ecosystem from current to future states, in support of strategic and business goals and policies.
- Ensure that the overall architecture is maintained in a coherent manner, technical debt is identified, mitigated, and eliminated with appropriate considerations for security and quality.
- Ensure that the respective business, application, data, solution and technology perspectives are in line with the organization’s technology and governance strategies, policies, and standards.
- Develop and maintain system diagrams, highlighting the relationship between business value, capabilities and technology by creating logical, business, integration and functional architecture artifacts for review by engineering teams and security
- Serve as trusted advisor to other functions on information technology strategies
- Develop and promote modern architectural approaches that encourage value exchange with partners and customers, digitization of processes, business connectivity, and partner collaboration.
- Lead analysis and evaluation of leading and emerging technology and market trends to determine their impact and opportunities for the enterprise architecture with focus on Digital capabilities and innovations to enable Coinbase business strategy.
- Mentor and influence enterprise and solution architects by providing frameworks, guidelines and best practices for implementing and configuring schemas and usage of data in our systems
- Frame large-scale, enterprise-wide transformation initiatives, from current state assessments through technical oversight alongside the delivery teams.
- Improve Enterprise Architecture maturity in non-functional requirements and security review processes by providing actionable feedback to the organization
- Manage the application portfolio and reduce technical debt, working with application delivery teams to ensure backlogs include technical debt work items
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Bachelor's degree in business, information systems, computer science or related discipline (or equivalent work experience); masters or MBA preferred but not required.
- Experience with the AWS cloud ecosystem, including in-depth knowledge of trade-offs inherent in specific AWS data patterns.
- Experience in a hyper-scale transaction environment, both in terms of volumes and transaction execution time.
- Experience designing and implementing resilient transaction architectures designed to maximize both performance and replayability.
- Experience integrating Salesforce.com with a focus on maintaining key enterprise data entities (e.g., Customer, Account, Product) within canonical, on-prem, vendor-neutral repositories.
- Experience working with ERP packages (Netsuite preferred), Coupa, Collaboration tools, Marketing Content and Social tools experience needed.
- Experience designing and implementing ODS (operational data store) and DW (data warehouse) solutions.
- Experience within a complex, evolving compliance/regulatory industry.
- Creating security-first architectures designed to enforce compliance governance as well as audit-oriented logging requirements.
- Minimum of ten (10) years work experience in an architecture (application, technical, systems, integration), technical consulting, process re-engineering or application delivery/technical engineering role.
- Broad and extensive technical knowledge of application delivery methods and familiarly with how portfolios of systems work together to create enterprise solutions.
- Experience with techniques including systems flows, data/business object modeling, use case and user interface prototyping.
- Creation of architecture artifacts for inclusion in M&A playbooks.
- Outstanding communication skills including demonstrated ability to effectively engage, influence and communicate technical and business issues and solutions to all levels in the organization.
- At least one example of handling "on-hands-on-deck"/"swarming" situations to resolve production issues within an unforgiving transactional environment.
- Experience in Industry standard frameworks with the ability to enforce architecture disciplines where necessary. Good knowledge of enterprise architecture concepts through practical experience and exposure to industry models and frameworks e.g. TOGAF, Gartner.
- Deep knowledge of agile Scrum and Scrumban-like delivery models.
- A minimum of five (5) years managing experienced, senior individual contributors; preferably a team of Enterprise, Domain, Data and/or Solution Architects.
- Attracting and recruiting top talent within a tight labor market.
- Managing OKRs, establishing supporting metrics.
- Designing and implementing organizational changes specific to an Enterprise Architecture team.
- Creating and maintaining a high-performing team with sustained high engagement within EAA and across the Coinbase enterprise.
- Handling escalations; communicating trade-offs; driving decisions to resolution.
- Evaluating team members; managing high-performers while growing their careers; managing out non-performing team members.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively across the spectrum of stakeholders, including senior business executives, business SMEs, peer EAA leadership, and technical delivery teams.
- Passion for the crypto/blockchain/NFT industry and economy.
- Experience designing/improving performance of high-load customer-service platforms.
- Creating quantitatively based architecture risk-models (i.e., measuring technical debt and other trade-off decisions by risk factors).
- Knowledge of other agile and non-agile SDLC approaches.
- *At least one architecture notation and documentation standard (e.g. TOGAF).
- Familiarity with JS/TS and related frameworks.
- Experience with SQL and Snowflake.
- Deep knowledge of SFDC architecture and customization approaches.
- Experience managing multi-org SFDC architecture.
- M&A integration, including transitional and long-term architectures.
- Experience with at least one systems-level programming language (Go preferred).
- Proficiency with Git, Confluence, Jira, LeanIX.
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $254,745.00 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Please note that for employees based in the US, Philippines, Canada or Singapore, if your role requires you to be present in a Coinbase office or if you choose to be physically present in a Coinbase office or sponsored location, you will be required to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 (as defined by applicable law). If you receive an offer, you will receive additional information about the grounds and process for an exemption.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.