We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got good vibes. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase has led the industry in remote-first practices since spring of 2020, and we’re now in search of a Director of Employee Experience and Remote-First to join our team. This person will lead the teams responsible for Employee Experience Programs (e.g., recognition, celebration, offsites) and Workplace Experience (read: Coinbase-operated offices, coworking programs, and more) as well as owning and advancing our Remote-First policies and practices.
The Director of Employee Experience and Remote-First will be responsible for driving our goal to be the best crypto company to work for by creating flexible, best-in-class experiences for all employees, regardless of where they are in the world, or how often they choose to work in an office. We’re seeking an individual with ample energy and enthusiasm for this space, a flexible and empathetic leader, an expert problem solver, and skilled cross-functional partner, passionate about defining the future of work at Coinbase and beyond.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Team leadership and stewardship: Build and lead a team and a function responsible for a significant portion of the employee experience at Coinbase, inspire, develop and mentor members of your team, and prudently manage headcount and resources within budget.
- Operational execution and excellence: Ensure team leads of Employee Experience Programs and Workplace Experience teams can design, deploy, scale and evolve the strategic programs they are responsible for, ensuring internal alignment on goals, and cohesion in execution.
- Maintaining our leadership in Remote-First: As we invent the future of work, partner with teams within and outside of the broader People Success organization to support employee needs across every segment and keep Coinbase on the leading edge of what it means to be a Remote-First company.
- Externalizing our practices: Develop thought leadership and serve as the face of these programs by representing Coinbase with the press around topics pertaining to employee experience and Remote-First in particular.
- Driving and demonstrating business value: Take a data-driven approach to this work to gauge both progress (e.g., toward being a “truly” Remote-First company) and the impact (e.g., on employee engagement) that can be directly attributed to the work of these teams; use these metrics to evolve offerings and grow the team.
- Scaling systems and approaches: As Coinbase continues to grow swiftly, ensure that programs being offered by these teams are global, simple, and scalable (in addition to being highly valuable to employees).
- Responding nimbly to new opportunities: Take on in-the-moment mandates to launch prototypes of new programs and offerings, ultimately refining them and either maintaining ownership or passing on to other teams for continued execution.
- Championing this work with CoEs and Executives: Represent the work of this team in Executive Team meetings and with cross-functional stakeholder leadership, building strong relationships, driving alignment, clearly communicating value, and soliciting feedback.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 7-10+ years of direct people team experience, managing large, multi-functional teams
- Working on global and quickly expanding teams
- Working at a company with a remote-first, -friendly, or -only approach
- Partnering across HR centers of excellence at a mature company (e.g. Benefits, Mobility, Employee Relations)
- Working directly with Executive Teams and their lieutenants
- Delivering large projects and process improvements while managing through midstream change
- Using data to understand a problem, to tell a story, to influence others
- Building and improving highly cross-functional processes with a knack for delivering tangible results and working across teams to unblock bottlenecks
- Creating and leading internal people programs designed for scale in a high growth environment.
- Ability to…
- Be solution-oriented, with the ability to navigate and solve complex problems
- Maintain a growth mindset and consultative approach when working with internal stakeholders
- Communicate clearly and effectively across functions and departments
- Operate at the 10,000- and 10-foot level, knowing when to elevate the conversation and when to roll up your sleeves
- Deploy exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $225,250 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Position ID: P1370739
Please note that for employees based in the US, Philippines, Canada or Singapore, if your role requires you to be present in a Coinbase office or if you choose to be physically present in a Coinbase office or sponsored location, participate in any in-person gathering (including offsites) or engage in business travel sponsored by Coinbase, you will be required to be fully vaccinated (as defined by applicable law). If you receive an offer, you will receive additional information about the grounds and process for an exemption.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.